DRAMA SKILLS FOR LIFE
While O’Grady Drama simply works to give your child the best start in life and develop ways to help them grow, we also teach skills and techniques relevant to the School Drama Curriculum. At each class the techniques are developed, polished and ingrained in an energetic and vibrant way. Over time these practices ensure that students have a strong platform to negotiate any type of presentation or performance. If they wish to go on to a performing arts future, our students are well able to navigate the audition process.
- We focus on voice and movement training
- We work on presence and energy
- We nurture expressive skills
- We encourage improvisation and ad lib activity at each session
- We ensure students work together in an ‘ensemble’ environment
- We foster collaboration and teamwork
Techniques we teach
– dynamic variation in loudness/softness; pace of speaking; use of pause; pitch appropriate to role, character and dramatic action
– dynamic variation in posture, facial expression; movement using weight, space, time and energy appropriate to role, character and dramatic action
Drama skills for life: How we do it?
We align ourselves to the National Drama Curriculum
- Dramatic playing
- Role playing
- Play building/devising
- Interpreting scripts
- Rehearsing and directing
- Responding to drama as audience
As our students progress, they’re exposed to the Language of Drama and Theatrical Conventions (‘tricks of the trade’ ) such as the use of Freeze Frames, split focus, mime, exaggerated movement, caricature, vocal chorus work and some song. Theatre Styles and stagecraft are introduced at the Youth level. Monologue work is also a strong feature in the Youth Program.